Thursday, May 20, 2010

Digital Citizenship and Reputation Management in Learning

I recently wrote about my  reflections on the focus of our professional learning around technology this year.  I was working with SITLs and TLs on what we accomplished this year and what we were going to work next year.The group said next year they want to work on:
  • digital rights
  • digital citizenship
  • digital footprint.
Then today in my blog role, I saw an interesting presentation from Dean Shareski on Reputation Management (it is licenced under Creative Commons so you can use it as you like).  It is absolutely worth your time to watch, and it got me thinking about how we'll work on it and why.

 
Dean's work talks about how you don't really control the message now that coffee row is posted in the public. His point is that working together create the social media message with teachers and students makes a lot of sense. (Many of Dean's ideas are a part of Don Tapscott's Growing Up Digital if you'd like to do some reading on the re-thinking businesses, politics and schools are doing). Dean identifies 5 shifts in communicating, which I read about in Here Comes Everybody. You can watch Shirky's TED talk to get the basics:

 


 
So the questions I am left with as I think about the implications of Dean's presentation are two fold:
  1. How can we harness social media to engage our student and professional learners in things worth doing?
  2. What issues do we need to be aware about as we think about social media and education?
Let me know what you think. . .

1 comment:

  1. One thing we talked about earlier this year was the real-time potential which we are seeing in Google Wave (and others recently). Wave is still a resource hog, but is seeing some maturity. I mention this because it came into open beta yesterday or the day before (no more invites required). If anyone wants to give it a spin with a score of students all trying to come up with a coherent document simultaneously, I think it could be fun and, just possibly, amazing.

    ReplyDelete